Here is a simple recipe for biscuits that I tried at home and that turned out surprisingly well. I am not really a ‘kitchen person’ so I usually refrain from venturing into complex cooking or baking endeavours but this is simple enough for even people like me!
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp (I omitted this ingredient)
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp (not baking powder!)
Caster sugar – 1/2 cup
Brown sugar – 1/2 cup
Butter – 1/4 cup
Egg – 1
Butterscotch chips – 2 tbsp (I used Hershey, you could use any brand that you like)
Semi sweet chocolate chips – 1 tbsp
Note: If you are using self raising flour you don’t have to use baking soda and salt.
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) Mix all the dry ingredients together (salt, flour, baking soda, cocoa powder).
3) In a bowl put butter and sugar and whisk them using an electric mixer or a manual egg beater until a creamy texture is obtained. Put the egg into this mixture and mix again.
4) Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the bowl with the butter, sugar and egg and mix (Don’t add at once or it will create a thick mush).
5) Once the mixture is ready (it will be like soft dough), put the butterscotch and semi sweet chocolate chips (mix lightly).
6) Place a sheet of butter paper on a baking tray and use a small sized ice cream scooper to scoop the mixture and place it on the baking tray. Flatten out the biscuit dough using the back of a spoon or a glass.
[I used a medium sized baking tray and put 12 scoops each time]
7) Place the baking tray in the pre heated oven for about 10-12 minutes and viola! your cookies are ready!
Place the biscuits on a cooling rack until they cool down and serve them with milk, coffee or tea.
Cost of Ingredients